Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream
The Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream, a segment of the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP), offers a pathway for skilled trades professionals with relevant work experience in qualifying trades to attain permanent residency in Ontario via the federal Express Entry system.
Why choose the OINP Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream? Candidates who secure a provincial nomination through this specific OINP stream benefit from added Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points. This positions them favorably to receive an Invitation To Apply (ITA) for permanent residence during subsequent Express Entry draws.
Essential Eligibility Criteria
For a successful application under the OINP Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream, candidates must:
- Maintain an active Express Entry profile.
- Qualify for the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).
- Express a desire to migrate to Ontario or “All Provinces and Territories” in the Express Entry profile.
- Obtain a Notification of Interest from Ontario via the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) Express Entry online portal.
Additionally, Express Entry candidates must substantiate:
- Work Experience: A combined total of a year of full-time (or its part-time equivalent) paid work experience in Ontario over the past two years. This experience should be in specific trade occupations as classified under the National Occupational Classification (NOC) system.
- Trade Certification: Possession of a valid license or certification from the Ontario College of Trades.
- Ontario Residency: Presently living in Ontario with a valid work permit.
- Language Proficiency: A minimum Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 in either English or French across all competencies. Valid test results from approved organizations such as IELTS, CELPIP, TEF, or TCF are required.
- Settlement Funds: Adequate financial resources for settlement, validated through means like bank statements, ongoing employment earnings in Ontario, or a job offer within the province.
- Intent: Demonstrable ties to Ontario, indicating an intention to reside in the province.
Skilled Trades Application Process
Candidates can’t directly apply to the OINP Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream. An initial step involves obtaining a Notification of Interest (NOI) from Ontario through the IRCC online platform.
Upon receiving the NOI, a 45-day window opens for candidates to complete an online application via Ontario’s dedicated application management system. The application fee stands at $1,500. Once reviewed and approved by the OINP, candidates are awarded an extra 600 CRS points, enhancing their chances of receiving an ITA from the Express Entry pool. Post-application, the IRCC endeavors to finalize the permanent residency process within six months.
Qualifying Skilled Trades Occupations
To be considered for the OINP Express Entry Trades Stream, the candidate’s year-long work experience in Ontario should align with specific occupations.