Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program
Ontario Business Program is dedicated to international entrepreneurs who wish to invest in Ontario.
Investment of CAD $200,000 outside Toronto GTA
CAD $600,000 inside Toronto GTA
CAD 400,000 worldwide including values of current and fixed assets
ONIP offers Work Permit. Must operate the business within 18 months to get the permanent residency
Ontario Business Program – Entrepreneur Stream
Ontario Business Program is dedicated to international entrepreneurs who wish to invest their business expertise and money in Ontario.
The applicant should have a minimum of 2-year business experience as a senior manager, or the applicant has business ownership experience. The business owner should show at least 1/3 of business ownership and should demonstrate an active role in running the business.
The required net worth varies depending on where the business will be located:
- For businesses located within the Greater Toronto Area (GTA), applicants must have a minimum net worth of $800,000.
- For businesses located outside the GTA, applicants must have a minimum net worth of $400,000.
- For businesses in the ICT/Digital Communications sector (regardless of where it will be located), applicants must have a minimum net worth of $400,000.
- The required investment varies depending on the location of the proposed business:
- If the proposed business will be located within the GTA, applicants must make a minimum personal investment of $600,000.
- If the proposed business will be located outside the GTA, applicants must make a minimum personal investment of $200,000.
- If the proposed business will be in the ICT/Digital Communications sector (regardless of where it will be located), applicants must make a minimum personal investment of $200,000.
- Have minimum equity ownership of 33.3 percent;
- For businesses located within the GTA, applicants must commit to creating at least two permanent, full-time jobs for Canadian citizens and/or permanent residents
- For businesses located outside the GTA, applicants must commit to creating at least one permanent, full-time job for a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
Make at least one business-related visit to Ontario in the 12 months prior to submitting the Expression of Interest, if purchasing an existing business.
The minimum required score is CLB 4 only, which can be demonstrated through the following tests: IELTS test (General Training) or CELPIP for English. For the French language, applicants can take test Test d’évaluation du français (TEF) or Test de connaissance du français (TCF).
Eligible and ineligible businesses
To be eligible to the Entrepreneur stream, the proposed business investment must satisfy the following general eligibility requirements:
- The purpose of the proposed business must be active, not passive by providing services or sale of goods
- The proposed business must comply with any applicable federal and provincial licensing requirements
- The proposed business must at all times have a place of business in Ontario
Applicants who will purchase an existing business should meet the following conditions:
- An existing business must have been in continuous operation by the same owner or group of owners for the last 5 years before you buy the business.
- The purchase must completely transfer ownership from the owner to the applicant
- The proposed business must not have been previously owned or operated by current or former Ontario business stream nominees.
In addition to the list above, the following are also not eligible inside the GTA:
- Existing Franchises in Ontario (new foreign franchises expanding into Ontario are permitted)
- Gas Stations
- Bed and Breakfasts
Canada welcomes historic number of newcomers in 2022
Government reaches target of 431,645 new permanent residents January 3, 2023—Ottawa—Canada has...
IRCC approves Pearson Test of English for Canadian immigration applications
By the end of 2023, the Pearson Test of English (PTE) will...
Canada to welcome 500,000 new immigrants in 2025
The Immigration Levels Plan acts as a guide for the number of immigrants Canada aims to welcome...
Transitioning to online applications for permanent residence
As part of efforts to modernize Canada’s immigration system and improve client service,...
A stronger immigration system that better serves newcomers
continues to be a destination of choice for people looking for a new place to work, study, and build their lives.
Tackling immigration backlogs to help Canadian businesses grow
August 24, 2022—Ottawa—Canada is a destination of choice for people looking for a new place to...